First things first, I love Salmon. Like, really really love it. Secondly, I love Moroccan food flavors, so when you put the two together you have a match made in heaven. Enter my Salmon with Moroccan-Spiced Cauliflower Salad. Sounds next-level, right?
Oh, and don’t even get me started on the creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing,..Okay, Okay you can. It’s freaking delicious, she said humbly.
I must be honest with you, I enjoy ordering Moroccan food when I’m out to eat becuase it seems so fancy and something that sounds better when someone else prepares it. But I must tell you, this was the first time making it on my own at home, and it was so easy! It definitly won’t be my last. The Moroccan-Spiced Cauliflower Salad itself is extremley flavorful and I promise you will go nuts over it.
Every ingredient in this cauliflower-grain salad adds so much in their own little way.
- Freekeh – one of my favorite grains to add to salad bowl. It’s nutty and delish, not to mention full of fiber. The brand like is Bobs Red Mill.
- Cauliflower – when riced, the texture resembles actual rice keeping it low carb while still bulking up the meal.
- Dates – adds a little bit of caramelly sweetness to the dish.
- Sauteed onions – a must for this meal adding a mild oniony bite.
- Spinach – for added nutrition and the color doesn’t hurt!
- Moroccan spices – so warming and flavorful.
Speaking of Moroccan Spices: You can easily make your own!
Mix 1/4 tsp. of the following:
This cauliflower-grain salad can be super customizable too, depending on what you have on hand!
You can sub the freekeh for quinoa, spinach for kale or spring mix, dates for raisins. Feel free to adjust and make it your own!
As long as you make the Lemon Tahini Dressing, anything you want to sub is fair game.
This dressing is similar from my spring plant-based buddha bowl, and it ranks up there with one of the best homemade dressing I’ve ever made! I added a little bit of cinnamon to this one, which play really beautifully with the lemon and tahini.
You’ll go crazy for how good this is and start adding it to everything.
I bet you already have all the ingredients in your pantry:
apple cider vinegar
pink salt and pepper
Shake it all up in a jar and store for about a week. But trust me, it won’t last more than a few day.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
Salmon with Moroccan-Spiced Cauliflower Salad & Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- For the Salmon:
- 1 lb. Wild King Salmon
- 1 Tbl. Honey
- Pink salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- For the Cauliflower:
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- ½ cup Cracked Freekeh, cooked
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 Tbl. Olive oil
- Pink salt and pepper to taste
- For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbl. maple syrup
- 1 Tbl. Tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- pinch of cinnamon
- pink salt and pepper to taste
- *add water to adjust consistency
- Step 1 For the Salmon: Melt coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet. Pat the salmon dry with paper towels. Spray with cooking oil and season with pink salt and pepper. Drizzle honey on top of the salmon, place face-down in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes depending on thickness of the fish. Flip, and sear for another 2 minutes on the skin-side. Remove from the skillet and set aside to rest.
- Step 2 While the salmon is cooking, you can cook the Freekeh. Follow directions on the package and set aside.
- Step 3 In a separate non-stick skillet, heat more coconut oil. Sauté the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Then add the cauliflower rice. Cook down for about 3 minutes and add the Moroccan spice blend and combine for another minute.
- Step 4 Turn off the heat of the cauliflower rice skillet and add the cooked Freekeh, fresh spinach, dates, pink salt and pepper. Mix until the spinach is wilted.
- Step 5 Mix all dressing ingredient together and add about 2 spoonful’s to the cauliflower grain mixture. Adjust dressing to taste.
- Step 6 Serve with the seared salmon. Enjoy!